[BC] brazing

Kevin C. Kidd kkidd
Tue May 24 09:24:35 CDT 2005

I made myself very very sick in high school agriculture class practicing
brazing on galvanized sheet metal.  We were in a welding booth but didn't
turn the ventilation fans on.  About 2 hours after inhaling burning zinc
fumes for several minutes I was down and out.  Out of school for almost a
week with severe flu like symptoms.  In later life I have accidentally
welded or brazed galvanized metal OUTSIDE WITH A BREEZE BLOWING and an hour
or so later be a little nauseated with a headache.

If you are welding or brazing and see yellowish white smoke and a yellowish
or white residue around the outside edge of the heated area, you are
heating galvanized material and should use special precautions.

--

Kevin Kidd, CSRE
WD4RAT
mailto:kkidd at kkbc.com