[BC] lightning & grounding

Lamar Owen lowen
Sat May 21 11:03:01 CDT 2005

#10 to 0.030 is a fairly good match; to 0.125 the #10 nearly melts if it's not
heatsinked.  And doing it with bronze sure does get the filler's solidus
uncomfortably close to copper's melting point.

I used bronze to do one of the steel to copper connections; but the others I
did with 45% copper-silver (no phosphorus) and borax flux.

> bad as trying to gas weld aluminum. <g> I started thinking TIG might be
> better but I don't have a rig for that. (And I do mean TIG, not MIG. <g>)

Good TIG work looks very pretty, too.  You can weld copper to copper very
easily with TIG (aka 'Heliarc' which is a trademark of Lincoln, if I remember
correctly).  TIG is as controllable as a torch with very few of the torch's
problems.  Cast aluminum (or aluminium for Clive) can be welded with TIG; so
can cast iron, copper, and many other things that you couldn't do any good
with a torch or other means.  But TIG is expensive and requires AC power
(three phase for the good rigs).

For those not familiar with TIG, you weld with it in a similar fashion as you
would with a torch; the tungsten electrode in the 'torch', swathed in helium
or other inert gas, acts as an incredibly high temperature 'flame' source
when you strike an arc with it.  You then add filler like with a torch,
rather than with MIG or regular arc welding where the filler is the
electrode.  Good TIG weldors (using Haynes' terminology to reduce confusion
between the equipment (a 'welder') and the operator (a 'weldor') command
better wages than most broadcast engineers and are nearly artists.  Good TIG
welds are works of art.  I have a friend who is employed as a mold weldor; he
gets paid very handsomely for welding molds, where the weld fillet is part of
the actual mold surface and will be reflected in the molded product.  He gets
over $100 per hour to contract out welding.

> Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD

I know what the CSRE is, but what is the AMD for?
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology