[BC] lightning & grounding

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Fri May 20 15:03:37 CDT 2005

On 20 May 2005 at 11:16, Lamar Owen wrote:

> The magic word is 'heatsinks'.  Vise-Grips on the thin to keep it from
> melting, and broad flame on the thick to get it hot.
>
> I've brazed 10 gauge bare copper to 0.125 before.  The worst was brazing some
> 0.062 to some half inch angle iron at an ATU.  I've also done 0.062 to steel
> sea container frames.  Careful heatsinking of the copper is extremely
> important, and good control of the oxyacetylene rig is critical.

Lamar,

I've brazed more #10 to .030 x 4" copper than I want to think about and have
always used bronze rod and a flux can. I've never needed a heat spreader for
that, just a careful touch with the torch and good heat control - plus a
calm day helps. <g>

However, this strap absorbed heat and "ate" it so fast that it was a real
challenge. Strap to steel is not so bad because the conduction away from
the joint is much less, but with a large copper heat sink it's almost as
bad as trying to gas weld aluminum. <g> I started thinking TIG might be
better but I don't have a rig for that. (And I do mean TIG, not MIG. <g>)

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037