[BC] lightning & grounding

Lamar Owen lowen
Fri May 20 10:17:51 CDT 2005

On Friday 20 May 2005 10:54, Phil Alexander wrote:
> I've never put it in myself, but have attached to some 3/16"
> x 2" wide that was put in around '48 or '49 and getting that
> hot enough to braze while not burning a hole in 0.049 x 4"

The magic word is 'heatsinks'.  Vise-Grips on the thin to keep it from
melting, and broad flame on the thick to get it hot.

I've brazed 10 gauge bare copper to 0.125 before.  The worst was brazing some
0.062 to some half inch angle iron at an ATU.  I've also done 0.062 to steel
sea container frames.  Careful heatsinking of the copper is extremely
important, and good control of the oxyacetylene rig is critical.  Good flux
and the right filler is a must, Silvaloy 45 is good here; the phosphor-copper
brazes oxidize iron and can't be used for this.  And in the world of brazing,
soldering, and welding cleanliness IS godliness.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology