[BC] State Licensing

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Fri May 20 16:54:01 CDT 2005

What you say is true much of the time. Many engineers do speak a language
foreign to management. many engineers also lack communication skills. Some
even lack social skills. I certainly won't deny that.

And....

Many managers don't include the engineer in as part of their 'team'.  How many
of you get to use the restaurant trade that the programming department has so
much of it they give it away to interns?
When was the last time many of you got a note or email thanking you for your
contribution to the station? Yet, these same clowns don't waste a second
sending one to chastize us.

I've been very fortunate over the years to have had some GREAT managers that
not only valued my contribution, they showed it in many ways, including pay.
I've also worked for managers who have called home and woke me up at 9:15 AM
screaming that I'm not at work, when they knew in writing I had been working
until 6 AM and just fell asleep an hour ago!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that being the best communiicator in the
world doesn't help for s**t if your boss refuses to listen.

Unfortuantely, over the past 20 years or so, virtually all managers in radio
have come from sales. Good sales persons spend the least amount of time in a
radio station because they're too busy on the street selling. Then they are
promoted to manager, and expected to manage the very place where they've spent
the least amount of their time. It's the Peter Principle in action!   By FAR
the best managers I have worked for have come from programming, operations and
yes even engineering.

-D