[BC] "Professional" regulation

Mario Hieb reader
Fri May 20 13:15:56 CDT 2005

I'm not so sure that the FCC would have any influence. They got out of the
people licensing business years ago.

Most recognized professions are "self-regulating." They decide who gets in,
who stays in, what is ethical, and what the state laws are.

It's sort of a monopoly that the government and the courts allow as long as
society benefits from their existence. For instance, structural engineers
are licensed and given a monopoly of sorts as long as the structures they
design don't fall down.

In some cases, the state isn't even involved, as with state bar associations.

SBE should look at how other professions are organized; they might pick up
some pointers.

Mario