[BC] SBE policies

Mario Hieb, P.E. mario
Wed May 18 23:39:44 CDT 2005

Chris,

The readers of this list are quite intelligent and can make their own
judgements. I say let them do it.

When you donate goods or services to an entity, you are subsidizing it. SBE
NFL GDC is a system whereby engineers volunteer their time to "for-profit"
entities and thereby subsidize them. Show me another recognized
professional organization, (doctors, attorneys, etc) that donates its time
to the NFL and I will be silent on this issue forever.

For SBE to say this is "OK" is wrong and not very smart. For you to state
that SBE is not subsidizing the NFL is also...well, let the readers form
their own opinion.

Regarding my point that SBE doesn't set high standards of professionalism
and professionals do not  volunteer services to for-profit entities,
you  state that "The volunteers themselves volunteer. The SBE forces no one
to do it." The problem is that SBE endorses it. SBE should be sending out
the message that "Professionals get paid," just as Section 21 of the Canon
of Ethics clearly states.

Regarding that SBE should set minimum levels of education, you state
"Explain how can this be done?" Well, it could be a high school diploma, an
Associates Degree in Electronic Technology, or even a Bachelors Degree in
Engineering. SBE can decide, but it should set a standard.

Regarding the SBE Code of Ethics, a quick review. NFL GDC violates the
following section of the Canon of Ethics:

Section 21. The Broadcast Engineer will uphold the principle of appropriate
and adequate compensation from those engaged in broadcast work, including
those in subordinate capacities, as being in the public interest and
maintaining the standards of the profession.

As volunteers, NFL GDC's are not compensated for the work they do. It
violates Section 21, and therefore it is unethical.

Chris, I find it hard that an intelligent person such as yourself cannot
see the harm that is being done here.

Mario

At 06:29 PM 5/18/2005, you wrote:
>Message: 25
>Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:49:46 -0500
>From: "Scherer, Chriss" <CSCHERER at primediabusiness.com>
>Subject: [BC] Re: What the SBE should be .. and should not be
>To: <broadcast at radiolists.net>
>
>Mario:
>This is a fine outlet to discuss issues. I did not see your post as a
>point of discussion, nor did others based on their responses. You made
>some claims about the SBE and its direction. I sought to clarify these claims.
>
>The issues you note are your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion,
>and by all means, use this forum as a way to gain support. I only ask that
>if you have a concern with the SBE, take it to the SBE directly. Not every
>SBE member is on this list.
>
>You list several points, which now form the basis of a discussion. As a
>discussion, I will comment on these items. These are my thoughts.
>
> >1. SBE should be ONLY a professional organization.
>
>It is, but it appears that your definition of a prfessional organization
>is limited to membership only. The NFL GDC is one component of the
>organization.
>
> >[The] SBE should not be subsidizing the NFL.
>
>It does not.
>
> >2. SBE is too interested in tangential issues...the interests of the
> engineer differ
> >from the interests of the client/employer. SBE should support only the
> engineer.
>
>Again, the interests cross and mingle.
>
> >3. SBE doesn't set high standards of professionalism. Professionals do not
> >volunteer services to for-profit entities.
Section 21. The Broadcast Engineer will uphold the principle of appropriate
and adequate compensation for
those engaged in broadcast work, including those in subordinate capacities,
as being in the public interest and
maintaining the standards of the profession.

> >4. SBE doesn't set minimum levels of education for engineers. All other
> >professions require this.
>
>Explain how this can be done.
>
> >5. SBE doesn't live by their Code of Ethics. NFL GDC is an example of this.
>
>The existing GDCs, board and many SBE members don't agree with you.
>
> >6. SBE doesn't police their own membership.
>
>Please explain this.
>
> >7. SBE (to my knowledge) doesn't promote the protection of life and safety
> >of the general public. Yes, there are life and safety issues in broadcast
> >engineering.
>
>Please explain the dangers that the SBE ignores.
>
> >8. SBE doesn't ask the question: "Is this in the best, long-term interest
> >of the profession?"
>
>That question is raised at every meeting of every committee and the board
>of directors.
>
> >You know that many engineers are frustrated with their lot in life.
> >They are seen professionally as something slightly higher ...
>...snip...
> >adopt a few techniques that have worked well for other professions and be
> >the best example of high professional standards.
>
>I look forward to hearing more about these techniques in the form of
>positive, beneficial suggestions.
>

>Mario, it is likely that we will agree to disagree on some of this. I
>encourage a productive discussion on these points.
>
>I will not be online for the next few days, so I will not be able to
>respond to anything posted here. I'm sure I'll find more to discuss when I
>return.
>
>Chriss Scherer

Mario Hieb, P.E.
Consulting Engineer