[BC] SBE policies

Rich Wood richwood
Thu May 19 08:25:50 CDT 2005

------ At 12:39 AM 5/19/2005, Mario Hieb, P.E. wrote: -------

>When you donate goods or services to an entity, you are subsidizing it.
>SBE NFL GDC is a system whereby engineers volunteer their time to
>"for-profit" entities and thereby subsidize them. Show me another
>recognized professional organization, (doctors, attorneys, etc) that
>donates its time to the NFL and I will be silent on this issue forever.

I'm sure the NFL is giving each volunteer a skybox and season tickets (I'm
assuming we're talking about the football organization). It's very
expensive to make those films. I know I've been seriously considering
taking up a collection for a Care package for George Steinbrenner to help
out the Yankees. Maybe a Happy Meal, a few clothes and a box of the gentle
style Kleenex. I'm also going to get some neighborhood folks to help
Bechtel fix the falling tiles in the Boston "Big Dig" tunnels. I found a
large supply of Super Glue that I might donate. I think it's unfair to
penalize a poor little company just because they're hugely over budget and
couldn't afford top of the line designers and contractors. Everyone makes
mistakes. I'm going to send a few extra dollars to BP/Shell to help them
keep going during these harsh times. I realize I'm already doing that at
the gas pump but a little extra humanitarian effort will be rewarded. I
can't locate the Bible passages that command it, but I'll continue to
search the 13 Bibles on my PDA to find something that'll fit.

I think subsidizing profit-making corporations is a grand American
tradition. If the government can do it, I think it's only patriotic that
individual citizens should do their fair share, over and above their tax
contributions. It ripples through the economy. It might just help a golf
course somewhere pay for watering the greens.

Being unwilling to step in and help is very selfish.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084