[BC] WJR Aerial View (pun intended)

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Fri May 13 12:25:13 CDT 2005

the tower looks like the same kind used by WGN and WBBM where the face is
12' wide so it only needs to be guyed at two levels.

What do the neighbors do?  my guess is that they find someone to blame other
than themselves.  the developer.  real estate agent.  and in the event of
any illness, WJR.

Rob Atkinson

From: "Richard Fry" <rfry at adams.net>
To: "Broadcast List" <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Subject: [BC] WJR Aerial View (pun intended)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:16:14 -0500

Here is a view of WJR's antenna site (my alma mater 40+ years ago).  When I
was there this was totally open country,  just a few farms around.

The art-deco tx building shows up by the semi-circular drive at the NE
corner of the plot.  Zooming in, you may see the two short towers supporting
the "T" emergency antenna.  There is also a shorted 1/4-wave stub for
1520kHz rejection, made of 1-5/8" rigid line running on supports above
ground off from the 700' tower (probably not visible here).  There is (or
was, at least) a spray pond behind the tx building that was the heat
exchanger for the old WE 407A -- which was the standby in those days (a CE
317 was the main).

WJR's field strength at a radius of ~ 1/3 of a mile is something like 5 V/m.
I wonder how all these new neighbors are coping with that??

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=11&Z=17&X=792&Y=11676&W=1

RF