[BC] SBE

Mike McCarthy mre
Wed May 11 22:09:16 CDT 2005

I'm on the FCC committee. We don't comment on all matters which come
before us.  We also don't expend much of the society's resources
either. Most of the work is done by e-mail and electronic means...which
are virtually zero cost. I fail to see your argument about mis-using
society resources.

We do file comments on matters of technical substance which apply
universally to all licensees in either of the services or modes and/or
where a precedent could set a very BAD example. We don't enter into
standards debates other than to possibly concur with the proposed
stndard if we feel it's the right thing.

It has been the long standing hallmark of the society to address
matters of interference and coorination so as to prevent such.  SBE
collaberates with the NAB, MSTV, and other industry groups on comments
where a universal voice is appropriate. Case in point, SBE fought the
proposed on-channel warning system by pointing out alternative channels
and modes which already exist for that application and to point out the
falicy onin their system.

We joined with MSTV on fighting MSS and getting all of the MSS
proponents, then Nextel to pay for relocation expenses to all incumbant
uses of 2 Ghz ENG cahnnels.

The FCC approached us on assisting them in cleaning up Part 74
issues.  And except for the Part 101 coordination and video assisted
cameras for making movies, the SBE's industry comments and suggestions
prevailed in that effort.

So Mario...what's your beef with SBE this week?  Long time readers know
you are not their biggest supporter.  But I'm sure Ray Benedict would
like to know since you are a member.

MM

> Perhaps somebody on this list can explain to me why SBE is spending
so much
> time (and member dues) on FCC related issues. How many SBE members
own
> station licenses? Isn't this the sort of thing that the NAB, and not
SBE,