[BC] SBE

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu May 12 09:18:46 CDT 2005

On 11 May 2005 at 20:30, Mario Hieb, P.E. wrote:

> Perhaps somebody on this list can explain to me why SBE is spending so much
> time (and member dues) on FCC related issues. How many SBE members own
> station licenses? Isn't this the sort of thing that the NAB, and not SBE,
> should be doing? Or are NAB and SBE one and the same today??

This question should be addressed to Chris Imlay, however IMHO the SBE is
spending time on those issues that impact the working broadcast engineer.
Sometimes the FCC listens, sometimes they don't, to our detriment.

The problem with the NAB is there seems to be no one there looking at nuts
and bolts engineering matters at the FCC and somebody has to do it.

As for the idea that the NAB and SBE may be one and the same today - I
suppose some might see that as a serious question if they haven't been
watching the differences - however, IMHO there is NO parallel period.

One question that might be asked is why must the SBE do all the heavy
lifting? Where is the AFCCE in all this? Why don't they do more,
especially WRT BAS? (ICR/STL/RPU etc.)

Phil Alexander, CSRE  (Vice Chair. SBE Chapt. 25)
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037