[BC] Re: Radio Is Not what it Used to be

Donna Halper dlh
Sun Jul 31 00:05:31 CDT 2005

>Jeff wrote--
>
>Nowadays, a young kid could take down the AudioVault by accidentally deleting
>one file. Carelessly connecting his/her laptop to the AudioVault network
>could cause a virus infection that would corrupt three AV systems here.

When I was consulting full-time, I began to see a lot of this.  Owners
would invest in some fancy-shmancy piece of equipment like AudioVault but
then they would invest no money in training.  They seemed to expect that
somehow the chief engineer would show everybody how to use it.  Some
engineers are very good at training.  Others are not-- they just get
impatient.  And some engineers just did not have time to show anybody
anything.  I was at a small market station last year (as you all may recall
from a conversation we had about it) where various tones (and boy were they
long) were being broadcast over the air, like the EAS tone, a weather alert
tone, a tone announcing a network feed, etc etc-- and the person on the air
had no clue how to stop the tones and just air the alerts or the
announcements or the feeds.  I asked him about it, and he said he was told
the tones had to be aired because there was no way to stop them.  I asked
the CE about it, and oh did he get off on a rant about no time to train
people, people don't listen anyway, people are stooooopid, etc.  Didn't
sound like he was having a good day at all...