[BC] Re: Radio Is Not what it Used to be

Tom Bosscher tom
Sun Jul 31 11:00:21 CDT 2005

Donna Halper wrote:
 >I asked the CE about it, and oh did he get off on a rant
 >about no time to train people, people don't listen anyway,
 >people are stooooopid, etc.

    There's a winning attitude. There is no doubt that engineers today
are much busier than 20 years ago. At the same time, if you have an
engineer who sits back by the furnace and all he can talk about is
nanowebers per heating degree day, he deserves to stay there.

    A major part of a full time engineers job is to be a people person.
Stop and ask each announcer what they need to help them do their show.
At one station here in town, back when the digital system was being
installed, the announcers had picked "the" spot where they wanted the
monitor. CE came in and put it on the other side, where it was very
difficult to read. "I'm not going to put it there, too hard to get to
the cables". So a staff of 4 or 5 people suffers everyday for one person
who might have to change out the monitor once every two years. (hint,
put in AC and video extension cables, makes it easy to swap out).
    I've seen way too much of this type of engineering attitude. If you
get the air staff to respect you, by doing what they need, you can get
just about anything done on the station.

    As far as the ever growing work demand, a very common "boss" mode is
to push and push a person to see what they can get away with. Most
engineers will keep working more and more hours, thinking they are a
failure if they can't handle a seven station cluster in 60 hours. Hint,
you can't. Think they have one salesperson for all those stations? Just
stop when your hit your 40-50 hours. Most everyone will understand. In
addition, keep notes on what you have done, and write a report every
month that goes to ALL department heads. Most have no idea what you are
doing for them, much less the other managers.

       tom bosscher