[BC] Re: Radio Is Not what it Used to be

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters
Sat Jul 30 23:37:02 CDT 2005

In a message dated 7/30/05 3:04:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

<< Several people told me that.  Any theories about why it's not as much
 > fun?  I know in some cases, owners have changed or there is more pressure
 > on an engineer or he/she is expected to maintain a cluster of stations...
 > but I'd think it would be somewhat easier to do the work these days--
 > aren't some pieces of equipment easier to fix than they used to be years
 ago? >>

Radio is not as fun now as it once was. For me, one reason is that all of the
equipment that's my responsibility is scattered all around northern Illinois.
It is not at all uncommon that I have to drive 140 miles round trip to push a
button. Now to me, this is not fun and it happens more times than I would
prefer. This situation frustrates my efforts to get projects done, because I
can't be in two places at once. for some reason, travel time does not seem to
"count" as something that eats productivity. I think lots of managers fail to see
this part of an engineer's schedule for the burden that it truly is. Travel
time apparently is not considered when consolidating or determining the required
technical staffing.

Back in 1980 this station was all on site, one station, one transmitter,
everything in one place. Now 20 years later, we have two studio sites, four
transmitter sites, one translator and one site where all of my STLs are located. I
spend more of my time traveling than anything else.

Back in 1980, I hired students as my assistant engineers. They would do
studio, reel to reel, cart machine and even transmitter maintenance (I was always
present for transmitter stuff). Nowadays, I would have rocks in my head to hire
students. Reason being, it is a lot easier nowadays to cause a lot of trouble
by making a stupid move. In 1980, the worst problem was the student screwing
up the head alignment on a reel or cart machine. No big deal, we had plenty of
spares.

Nowadays, a young kid could take down the AudioVault by accidentally deleting
one file. Carelessly connecting his/her laptop to the AudioVault network
could cause a virus infection that would corrupt three AV systems here. I don't
have the work appropriate for someone learning the business that I did in 1980.
I also don't have the time to teach a young kid, because I'm on the road.
That's the time I would spend mentoring back in 1980. Nowadays it is much easier
to really screw up the radio station's automation system and the final air
product by making a mistake. I do not remember a situation where a student
engineer took the station down back in 1980. I can think of a lot of ways that a
greenhorn could kill the station these days that would not have even been possible
in 1980.

The _biggest_ problem is finding someone interested enough to even apply for
the position. Once they find out computer knowledge is required, they decide
they can make more money someplace else, only dealing with computers. This lack
of interest is another thing that makes radio unfun these days. It lacks the
Oh, wow factor these days compared to other available technology that competes
with radio.

I have done very little component level troubleshooting now than five years
ago. I really loved bringing a dead piece of equipment back to life. It was
also fun looking over the schematics learning how the equipment worked. Not much
stuff comes with schematics anymore. To me, component troubleshooting and
circuit analysis was fun. Even transmitters are becoming repairable only at the
module level. I wonder how long it will be before transmitters do not come with
schematics? When that day comes, I will then retire probably.

I make every effort not to become a "grumpy old man" by comparing everything
to what it used to be, and remain open minded about new technology. I think
human nature is responsible for all of us establishing a personal comfort zone.
When new equipment goes beyond that comfort zone I think that's when some
people criticize it to death and thus cause a lot of personal dissatisfaction.

I must admit, I have a comfort zone with regard to the first transmitters,
consoles, processors, RPU, etc. I learned about on a detailed type level. I
understand the modern stuff to the point where I'm very proficient with keeping
them working and I'm not intimidated by them at all. However my 317C-3 and/or
FM-20H3 manuals invariably put a smile on my face when I see them. The newer
stuff does not seem to have that emotional response that those original
equipments do, but I like the new stuff and have a different kind of respect for it. So
this situation would also be responsible for taking a certain amount of the
fun out of the business. And thankfully, I can put my emotions aside and make
the appropriate decision with regard to equipment replacement based on business
and performance factors. Different does not always equal bad. different is
just, well, different. It's really up to you if different equals bad.

I am basically happy doing what I'm doing and I don't think any other job
would have enough less frustrations to justify the adjustments needed to make a
career move. I dare say that if you talked to anybody that's been doing the
same thing for 25 to 30 years, they will have similar frustrations to ours, due
to the same human nature and comfort zones I just discussed. My wife started in
nursing the same year I started radio. Her frustrations are very similar to
mine. She especially hates the computerization and the attendant problems thus
caused at the hospital compared to 20 years ago. Fewer nurses taking care of
more patients. Sounds just like our complaints about fewer engineers taking
care of more radio stations, doesn't it?

It's all about money.

Jeff Glass, BSEE CSRE
Chief Engineer
WNIU WNIJ