[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Cowboy curt
Sat Jul 30 20:01:23 CDT 2005

On Saturday 30 July 2005 13:51, Donna Halper wrote:
> >Jim wrote--
> >Soldered-in custom integrated circuits are becoming so very common now,
> >as are machines with proprietary software embedded in them, that changing
> >out a weak tube is a thing of the past.  Sometimes the best option is to
> >change
> >out a weak board or even a weak machine.
>
> That was one thing that puzzled me-- I am of course a non-engineer, but as
> a consultant, I've had the privilege of working with several outstanding
> engineers.  As we have moved more towards automation equipment and music on
> hard drive, I am curious about whether local engineers are permitted to fix
> something if it goes wrong, or do they have to contact the company that
> made the equipment?  I assume if it's a minor problem, it can be fixed
> locally and quickly, but I could be wrong.

 For me,  I find that most manufacturers hang on warrantee, and voiding it
 if an unauthorized repair is attempted.
 It seems to vary with who you are, how well they know you, your reputation,
 and the nature of the repair, as well as getting an advance OK to make
 any attempt.

 Having said that, often today, it's more cost effective to return, say, an
 audio processor to the manufacturer and have it fixed, than to spend
 my time ( and my clients money ) tinkering with something that can be
 much more effectively done non-locally.
 Or, to simply trash a broken board, and replace it, for the same reason.

 For an engineer on salary, this may not be true, but when the client is
 paying a contractor top dollar for every hour....

 I've probably told every client, that I want to be the most expensive
 engineer they've ever hired, worth every penny, and have them
 very happy to have paid my bill.

 It seems to be working....

 Cowboy
--
We're in buisness for fun and profit.
 If it isn't fun, and you're not making a profit,