[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Tonne tonne
Sat Jul 30 13:26:02 CDT 2005

Donna wrote:

> I am curious about whether local engineers are permitted to fix something
> if it goes wrong, or do they have to contact the company that made the
> equipment?

The station owned by the "three-legged-milkstool" fellow had 65% of that
market's radio advertising dollars.  That was a direct result of a very
strong
and locally-oriented programming crew, a highly motivated sales crew and
an engineering crew with a good attitude.  That latter bunch pulled a lot of
peventive maintenace to keep stuff from "breaking" and if it did indeed
break then it was fixed immediately.  Sending stuff to the factory to get it
fixed was sort of like sending your car to the dealership to get the oil
changed.  Possible of course but pointlessly expensive.  The fellows who
sent stuff to the factory to get it fixed were regarded as shipping clerks.
That kind of person raises hell with the bottom line.  Please bear in mind
that the above scenario was in the Good Olde Days of 1965, when radio
really was.

-JimT