[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Donna Halper dlh
Sat Jul 30 12:53:23 CDT 2005

>Jim wrote--
>Soldered-in custom integrated circuits are becoming so very common now,
>as are machines with proprietary software embedded in them, that changing
>out a weak tube is a thing of the past.  Sometimes the best option is to
>change
>out a weak board or even a weak machine.

That was one thing that puzzled me-- I am of course a non-engineer, but as
a consultant, I've had the privilege of working with several outstanding
engineers.  As we have moved more towards automation equipment and music on
hard drive, I am curious about whether local engineers are permitted to fix
something if it goes wrong, or do they have to contact the company that
made the equipment?  I assume if it's a minor problem, it can be fixed
locally and quickly, but I could be wrong.