[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

Mike Holderfield mholderfield
Sat Jul 30 03:35:21 CDT 2005

> Mike wrote:
>
>> I love radio and what I do. Radio just doesn't
>> seem to be as much fun as it used to be.
>

> Donna Halper wrote:

> Several people told me that.  Any theories about why it's not as much
> fun?  I know in some cases, owners have changed or there is more
> pressure on an engineer or he/she is expected to maintain a cluster of
> stations... but I'd think it would be somewhat easier to do the work
> these days-- aren't some pieces of equipment easier to fix than they
> used to be years ago?

Not sure Donna. Maybe it had to do with working for one station with
a smaller number of people trying to achieve the same goal.
To be the number 1 and best station in the market.
The passion level seemed to be higher and it felt more
like a family thing.
Equipment wasn't as advanced or as reliable and required
more attention, but there was still plenty of time to
homebrew/modify/experiment.
Granted, broadcast equipment design eventually caught up
with current technology and lessened the need for
homebrew/modify, but even if it hadn't, there would
be no time with a cluster to take care of.
Maybe it's more about quantity than quality these days.
I still love it and have never regretted my choice of vocation.

mike