[BC] Do We Still Like Our Jobs?

John Vodenik jvodenik
Sat Jul 30 07:46:36 CDT 2005

After the VOA / Bethany plant closed in 1995, I went to
the East coast as D.E. for a 9 station group.  What I
saw was "kids" being put in charge.  Hell, they were
still wet behind the ears.  Being told how to do your
job by someone who was born AFTER you started in the
biz really got to me.  That and driving 50,000....50K
miles in the 3 months I worked for them was just too
much.  I was the corporate gofer...go fer the tapes at
this station, gofer the used satellite system in
Pittsburgh, I'll see you when you get back.  I'll bring
lights so you can set up the system when you get back,
at 3 AM.   BS !!!

Now, I am back with VOA, a job I lusted for and was
turned down twice before I got.  What better place for
a ham?  I have 825 acres of antennas, LOTS of very high
power, NO kid managers (but kid workers...no broadcast
radio experience).  All in all, yes, I do still like my
job.  Beats flipping burgers.  Only real bad
point..there isn't ANY sense of humor out here, which
keeps me in trouble a lot.

John @ VOA / Delano