[BC] UPS Causing Noise On AM Radio

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Fri Jul 29 20:49:53 CDT 2005

In a message dated 07/29/2005 8:53:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mwamdx at earthlink.net writes:

> For about the last five or six years I have been using a
>  Tripp Lite and every so often it causes an awful racket on
>  the AM radio.  It lasts for several seconds then does it
>  again after a few minutes then it is quiet for quite a while.
>   I guess it has something to do with the recharging circuitry
>  or some testing mode it goes through.

I am VERY surprised you've actually gotten that much life out of it! Based on
my personal experiences with TrippLite, I'd heave it into the trash ASAP, and
replace it with an APC. TrippLites have a very nasty design that repeatedly
charges/discharges the battery, causing premature death. The worst part is that
when the battery does finally succumb to this abuse, the unit starts cycling
power on/off every two seconds until you smash it against the wall. I will
*never* buy another one.

YMMV

Willie...