[BC] UPS Causing Noise On AM Radio

Tom Dimeo mwamdx
Fri Jul 29 19:51:23 CDT 2005

I am looking for a new UPS for my home computer and some
audio gear and was considering an OPTI-UPS that is available
for around a hundred and seventy-four dollars from Amazon.
It is the least expensive one I found that provides a sine
wave output.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit?  If so, in
particular, does it cause noise on the AM broadcast band?

For about the last five or six years I have been using a
Tripp Lite and every so often it causes an awful racket on
the AM radio.  It lasts for several seconds then does it
again after a few minutes then it is quiet for quite a while.
 I guess it has something to do with the recharging circuitry
or some testing mode it goes through.

Thanks,

Tom