[BC] Re: Digital Receivers

Bill Croghan loteng
Fri Jul 29 12:03:17 CDT 2005

>I  think there would be a cost issue with a receiver which had
>an added USB  port or an added "thumbdrive" connector.

	The little Yaesu VX-2 on my hip uses a mini plug, (tip, ring, ring
sleeve) type connector for headphone, microphone and programming as do many
other radios.  With this approach, it would be possible to include a
programming port as the normal Headphone port thus giving another reason for
the added cost.

>A dollar here and a dollar there and pretty soon the cost of
>the receiver would go from pretty high to  astronomically high.
>And a receiver software upgrade may never see light of  day
>unless it is done without the user having to do a thing.
>-  JimT

I agree that over the air downloads are the only real solution.  If Joe blow
public has to do something, it won't get done.  Upgrading might be a good
side business for a short time for some of us.
	Now you have to convince people to buy the SDR instead of one that
can't be upgraded since you probably can't get the point across that the
expensive one they buy today will be obsolete in 10 years or less.

I do like the little Radiosophy product.

Bill

Bill Croghan CPBE WB?KSW
Chief Engineer,
KOMP/KXPT/KENO/KBAD