[BC] No-code Amateur license

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Jul 26 09:57:49 CDT 2005

------ At 11:06 PM 7/25/2005, Jeffrey Kopp wrote: -------

>Plus, it facilitates QSOs between ops not sharing a common fluent
>language, through prosigns and by making dictionary reference easier
>(though I presume digital modes offer this same advantage today).
>This cross-language intelligibility at least partly explains CW's
>unexpected extra decades of life on the marine bands.

Are there enough prosigns to cover every word in every language? I've
heard this argument many times before but still can't understand how
sending an A means anything more than sending an A. You're still
sending in your language. I also don't understand how it's easier to
refer to a dictionary with code than with voice? By the time you've
found the word in the dictionary you're paragraphs behind. If you
transcribe the code you're still going to find it tough to write and
refer at the same time. The argument seem like desperation to me. Why
not just say code is fun and leave it at that. There are still
blacksmiths around but I don't think they're part of Homeland
Security except for mounted police. Since the shoes come from a
factory I suspect they use machine shops more than anvils and hot
coals to fit the shoes.

Rich
KF2JO