[BC] MS objection to IBOC

Mike McCarthy Towers
Wed Jul 27 06:38:29 CDT 2005

I see no reason why someone should be paying a premium for DTMF service
today as patents only last for 27 years.  DTMF is now public domain
technology and has been for at least 10 years.  If one is paying a
licensing fee for using DTMF, then that's a contractual arrangement
superceding the minimum defined by law.  "Touch Tone" as a name is
trademarked. But again, unless that term is used in marketing, there are no
royalties due.

20 years ago...different story as the patents had not yet run out.

MM