[BC] voip 911

Scott Cason scott
Mon Jul 25 09:59:04 CDT 2005

>>Beware the 911 Emergency calling issue, though. Too many major problems
with
VOIP misdirecting or totally failing to properly connect 911 calls.

I have had Vonage for going on a year now.  The first thing I did was get
the non-emergency number to our local central dispatch.  I called them and
told them that I wanted to do a "test" call to 911, and why I wanted to test
it, to see what would happen.  They agreed.  When I called, it displayed the
city I was in, but not my address.  That was an easy fix, all they had to do
was add it to their data base.  They then set up a time for me to call back
the next day to make sure the update "took".  It did.  Since the
non-emergency number rings to the same desks as the 911 number, I programmed
it in my phone.

>>I prefer my trusty old twisted pair anyday. I've heard of too many
problems,
dropped calls, etc, with people I know who are using VOIP. I don't think
it's
quite ready for primetime just yet. It's still got far too many growing
pains
& weaknesses.

In the year I have had Vonage, the only problem I have had is getting my fax
machine set up properly to talk to my converter.  I have called my family in
Georgia on a regular basis with no problems.  I have even called southern
California several times with no problems.  VoIP is the next big thing, and
I can see why the Bells are afraid of it.

Scott Cason
President
LaGrange Communications, LLC
502-213-0024