[BC] Code proficiency...

Burt I. Weiner biwa
Mon Jul 25 10:53:59 CDT 2005

Depending, it can be very simple.  Hundreds of years ago I knew a fellow,
K9DPX if I remember correctly, who learned to copy code using an old
Patterson radio that his family had.  No BFO or anything other than hearing
the carrier go on and off.  He could copy something like 30 WPM that
way.  I remember he told me that when he finally got a receiver with a BFO,
the tone presented some re-learning problems.

Once I made a key out of a clothes-pin.

Burt

At 11:31 PM 7/24/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Cowboy <curt at spam-o-matic.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] No-code Amateur license
>
>On Sunday 24 July 2005 00:41, Jerry Mathis wrote:
> > Does ANYONE use Morse code for anything anymore?
>
>  Yes.
>  Mostly, the pure enjoyment, and maintaining proficiency.
>
> > We have far more efficient
> > means of communications now. Aside from making someone PROVE they are
> > interested enough in obtaining an Amateur license to learn it, what
> value is
> > it?
>
>  WELL......
>  When all else fails, ( and I do mean ALL else ) simple on-off keying can
> still work,
>  and can still get a message through, provided ( just like HD ) that
> there is a receiver
>  at the other end capable of decoding the signal.
>  The advantage being that no special hardware is required.

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.
biwa at earthlink.net