[BC] Re: Cutting Vs Matching Antenna Vs no code

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters
Sat Jul 23 20:59:45 CDT 2005

In a message dated 7/23/05 8:23:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

<< And they DON'T know a thing! (one tried to argue with me that cutting an
 antenna for min SWR was better than matching the antenna at its resonant
 freq!!!) >>

I'm curious. I take it by your response cutting an antenna is inherently the
wrong way to minimize VSWR. Why? Now I don't mean to start a VSWR battle, what
it is and what it aint. However, I think it matters what's important to the
persons making their respective arguments. One position Vs the other hardly
suggests that the person does not know anything. Maybe you're saying something
that I'm missing.

Now, I just recently installed a whip antenna on my SUV for two meter FM. My
rig has a max VSWR spec, and I did not want to exceed it. SOOooo, I used the
cutting chart to trim the antenna, 20 watts up and 1 watt back. Now I can live
with that :-) Now, why would I want to screw around building a matching
network when all I have to do is cut the stupid thing?

Now let's look at a tower for my AM broadcast station. Now, I sure would look
silly crawling up the tower, acetylene torch strapped to my back, hacking off
pieces of tower and then yelling down to my wife to read the VSWR on the
transmitter. It sure would be a lot easier to design and build an ATU. Now even if
that tower were the perfect height, it is not going to be 50 Ohms on the
ground but think you get my drift.

I have talked to folks on the ham band that were very technical. Some of them
however were not very practical and others of them were not very personable.
So I think judging the new hams based on, for instance, their understanding of
antennas is a rather poor way to judge if the person is a poor ham or not.

I must admit, I was afraid two meters would turn into CB when the code went
away. I'm active again on 2M after being silent for 20 years. In monitoring
nowadays, there is virtually no change in the quality of persons at the other end
of the conversation. It is debatable that ham radio has much of a value these
days.

Don't hit me with the emergency communication argument. That does not hold
water. Ham service has more spectrum than any other service. All I'm saying that
the cost (spectrum) versus benefit (emergency communication) is at least
questionable given that few people if any, can design and build their own
equipment. And I don't think that's a function of knowing the code or not, sorry.

Jeff Glass, BSEE CSRE
Chief Engineer
WNIU WNIJ
WB9ETG since 1970