[BC] No-code Amateur license

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Mon Jul 25 16:10:29 CDT 2005

it sounds like maybe the pool of questions needs to be made a bit larger.
don't know how many answers there are to choose from for each question, but
if there are only four, let's say, they might increase the no. to 5 or 6.
that might work against memorizers.

rob atkinson

From: "Bill Croghan" <loteng at lvradio.com>
Subject: RE: [BC] No-code Amateur license
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:55:27 -0700

	There is a pool of questions equal to 10 times the number on the
test.  That means 350 in groups of ten for a 35 question test.  It's not
easy to memorize, but not that hard to get the general ideas of the answers.
It's amazing how you will recognize the correct answer even if you haven't
memorized or understood it
	The elimination of code will not destroy amateur radio.  Change the
hobby, yes, but maybe for the best.
	I became a novice just after they let novices use VFO's instead of
crystals.  They said that would destroy the hobby.  Over the years I've
heard it said that losing 2 MHz of 220 would, letting novices talk on 220
would, having a no-code would, power level limits would, allowing ASCII
would, packet would, and so on.  The hobby survives.  I once went to work
for a guy who told me he'd been kicked out of the ham club where I was
president and told not to return until he stopped screwing up the airwaves
with that horrible signal.  This was about 1980 and he was still using SSB.
I invited him back.

Bill
A 13 WPM Extra

Bill Croghan CPBE WBØKSW