[BC] Re: Cutting Vs Matching Antenna Vs no code

Larry Bloomfield Larry
Sat Jul 23 21:27:31 CDT 2005

I learned the code just long enough to pass the exam. My first call was
W6VXR. I hated it. I went into the USN and let it lapse. I taught
electronics in the USN and some broadcast engineering. Many years later
when I owned a 2-way Radio Show, one of my employees goaded me into
taking the exam while I was at the FCC looking up frequency pairs for
our commercial operation. I did and loved my new call - Keep All 6 Under
The Covers (KA6UTC) and yes there are a plethora of other things that go
with UTC.  Since then, I've become an ARRL certified instructor. I love
teaching the theory - the building blocks. I've never taught a code
class and have no intention of ever doing so. Code just never did it for
me. I do love DXing. I have a 6/2 meter & 70cm HT, but HF is my thing.
Teaching is one of the most satisfying things I have ever done -
aspiring ham radio operator or broadcast engineers who come to the Road
Show  presentations. I truly get off on it. (OK make fun of that, but I
don't care.)

As for Antennas, we all know that an antenna is resonate at one
frequency only. If you intend to change from that frequency, you MUST
change the electrical length so the transmitter thinks it is the correct
length - shorter or longer as the frequency you're putting to it is
higher or lower. I have always taught my students there are two ways of
doing that: either lengthen or shorten the physical antenna or employ an
antenna tuning unit that fools the transmitter into think that's what
you did. If you don't, you'll get reflected power and that's not good no
matter which method you employ. OK argue with that!

Larry Bloomfield, KA6UTC
Bloomfield Enterprises, LLC
dba - Tech-Notes
1980 25th St., Florence, OR  97439-9717
(541) 902-2424 - Home/Office/Cell
WWW.Tech-Notes.TV  -- See you on the Road Show.

<snip>