[BC] IBOC

Scott Cason scott
Fri Jul 15 08:44:35 CDT 2005

>> We could have the greatest sounding and looking stations anywhere, and if
no one's paying attention, it...won't...matter...

To expound on your statement, Alan.  You can have the best sounding station
in the market, but if the listeners are not interested in the programming,
it won't matter.  That's something else I have said all along.  Programming
drives people.  Listeners could care less how the programming is delivered.
People will listen to what they like regardless of how it's delivered.  Mike
seems to think that as long as you have a digital stream coming off the
antenna, you are better off.  In reality, that's not the case.  In theory, a
digital transmission system is better than an analog system, but there are
too many variables to name here, that can make it more of a liability than
an asset.  What you do with your digital stream is just as important.
Interfering with your neighbors on the band isn't a helpful way.
I don't have an answer as to what's a better system.  I don't understand why
we need a "system" in the first place.  But I do know enough to realize the
system we have now isn't the best way to go if people are insisting that
radio move to a digital transmission scheme.

Scott Cason
President
LaGrange Communications, LLC
502-213-0024