[BC] RE: IBOC - I Remember Babylon

Larry Albert larry.albert
Fri Jul 15 16:20:32 CDT 2005

Jerry,

   In the story their's would be the only satellites up.  They were
planning to launch three satellites into geosynchronous orbits located so
that any point on earth would have a signal from at least one
satellite.  With NO competition the potential viewer would have two choices
- watch their programing or not watch any. I do not remember any mention of
multiple signals from a satellite in the story.

   Today -  by "control their viewing" I meant offer programing for free
that will get the viewers to tune in and STAY tuned in.

   With the great numbers of digital channels possible there will be room
for MANY "special interest" programing options.

   There are many things which would attract viewers that are illegal,
immoral, and unavailable in many jurisdictions.

   Programer would be in control of these viewers because there is NO
competition for their special interests.

   Viewers comments that "they would not watch such things" should be
discounted.  I remember how many home C-band dishes were seen aimed in the
direction of the Playboy Channel twenty years ago.  (about five degrees
east of due south in my area - I installed a few dishes)

   If I can think of this over a cup of coffee, almost certainly someone
else has had the same thought.

   My prediction:  Pirate satellite broadcasts WILL happen.  The questions
are when and where the signal will be aimed.

   We have already seen hijacking of satellites by "unauthorized uplinks"
taking control for short periods of time.

Albert