[BC] Walter Phillips and Fred Keller

Frederick W. Seibold w9fws
Thu Jul 14 15:50:44 CDT 2005

I started listening to Walter when he was on WLW ("Mission
Midnight")  before the Ward Quall & Co. exodus to WGN.  Walter was first on
WGN in the evening and it was difficult for the record turner (Petrillo
remnant) and studio engineer to keep up with him.  Finally Fred Keller
became the Wally bit record turner.  It was said in an old Storz management
memo from the early Top 40 days when spots and jingles were on discs, that
4 turntables were as much as one jock could handle.

My favorite Wally bit from many years of listening was the morning the
transmitter dumped (the one phone pole at the transmitter that had both
leased program lines had been hit by a car, as I recall).  I would hear
carrier on 720 but no audio.  Then you could hear a talkback speaker
"You've got it", this was about 20 minutes after the hour.  Vince Lloyd
then gave the outcue for the top-of-the-hour newscast "....and that's the
news for now"  bringing a guffaw from the studio background.  Then Phillips
said  "I tried to tell them, just put a penny behind the fuse."

Fred W9FWS