[BC] Weirdo dials /was/ ABC Network in the wired days

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Thu Jul 14 12:31:12 CDT 2005

when I was around 12, and one of those oddball kids who went to radio
stations to ask obnoxious questions, this other kid and I got on the train
and somehow (don't remember what we did) made it to west bradley place and
got into WGN.
this would never happen today.  Today, our mom's would be called, and we'd
be turned over to DCFS.

but anyway, we got a look at the morning studio among other things,
(Phillips wasn't there to our disappointment) from behind the glass of the
control room, which was up to one side looking down into the studio.  A guy
in there worked the board, one of the old kinds with nice big VU meters and
pot knobs as big around as baseballs.  It was nicely beat up too i noted.
In the studio a guy wearing a white shirt and black tie and headphones sat
off to one side from the talent (roy leonard inverviewing henry fonda) and
played everything that wasn't live on a stand alone turntable.  I assumed
this was the fellow who handled the voice bits for Phillips.  no sign of
carts, or reel to reel anywhere.  The guy at the board told us everything
(spots) got put onto disks.

don't hold me to this but I am somehow under the impression that the
recorded voice bits were somewhat random (not planned in advance for
example) and W.P. simply went with wherever the needle dropped.    He was
fast enough on the rebound to be able to go with whatever happened.  the
radio studios were cavernous.   and quiet.  they were not "booths."

I also recall we got to see TV (the bozo's circus studio was one thing I
remember,  where we learned for the first time that everything looks bigger
than life on TV).

rob atkinson