[BC] IBOC

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Jul 13 18:17:15 CDT 2005

On 13 Jul 2005 at 11:35, Mike Gideon wrote:

> What lesson?

I think he means the lesson about being in touch with your listeners
being the way to success in any market, any size.

The top rated AM in this market does it with personality and talk
just as the top rated FM does it with personality and CW music, but
its about CONTACT. Neither JACK nor iPod's have that.

> Everbody is doing just fine without IBOC today.

Sure <ggg>

> Small market radio has always been a different deal. They don't
> miss IBOC OR their own NFL team.

Some small market stations are very surprising in terms of both
equipment and market dominance. Those will move to IBOC when they
are sure it won't be AMS deja vu.

> HD is happening for some very good reasons, and like most things,
> will happen without everyone understanding why.

It's been explained over and over by many, including yourself, Tom
Ray and several others, but those who won't listen will never
understand. There are many reasons for moving to digital and we
are doing it very late in the game. IBOC is clearly not the best
way to make the transition, but it will get us there. Since it is
what we have, perhaps we should take advantage of that. It will
be gone soon enough and be replaced by real digital anyway.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037