[BC] A Change of Topic on Network News Feeds

markc markc
Tue Jul 12 08:02:15 CDT 2005

I don't go back quite far enough to remember that improvement, but I do
remember the day I came to work at our college station and UPI news sounded
incredibly better to my relatively uneducated ears than it had the day
before. I was not privy to any projects happening (I was nothing but a
volunteer announcer/music host in those days).

When I asked the station manager what happened, he told me that the station
across town had gotten a satellite dish, and instead of getting our UPI via
ATT Long Lines we had a broadcast loop from KRFO to our studio.

It sounded amazingly better. This was probably in late 1982 or maybe 1983.

Now we all have multiple dishes at our stations and generally take satellite
delivery and the relative quality for granted until it goes away, as has
happened a couple of times in my recollection.

I don't regret coming in at the END of the telco era for network delivery. I
also haven't had a telco STL since the late 80s, and I don't regret that,
either.

Mark
MN