[BC] Re: Police frequencies on MW

Robert Foxworth rfoxwor1
Fri Jul 8 16:31:29 CDT 2005

> There are still a few stations on xx5 kHz in the northeastern
> Caribbean.  IIRC, the show up as xx0 kHz in the database.
>
> I've gone blank as to their locations.
>
> This May I rented a car on St Maarten.  Like all recent cars it had a
> digitally-tuned radio - but unlike the earlier ones I'd rented, this
> Panasonic radio was so broad that stations on xx5 could be heard fine
> when tuned to the 10 kHz channels on eaither side.  The AMs on St
> Maarten/Martin are on 10 kHz channels.  I forget whether the xx5
> stations were on Montserrat, Statia, Anguila and/or Antigua.  IIRC,
> one is a religious station on 1605 Antigua ("Caribbean Beacon")
> Others are on freqs like 885 kHz..
>
> bob c.

The only remaining "splits" in North America are 535 on Grenada,
555 on St. Kitts and 895 on Nevis.

Montserrat on 885 and St Vincent on 705 have gone silent. I
am not sure of the status of Dominica-595. Montserrat was
a victim of the volcanic ash and population shift.

Many others such as Caribbean Lighthouse-1165 have moved onto
even channels (1160). Phillipsburg, St Maarten-1295 moved
to 1300. Same with all the Aruba stations. The French RFO
station at St Pierre et Miquelon-1375 went silent a couple of
years ago, replaced with FM.

Caribbean Beacon on Anguilla has always been on 1610,
the little government station on Anguilla on 1505 is also QRT.

The Caymans used to be on 1205 and 1555, also went silent.

I believe all replaced by FM.  The remaining Jamaica stations on
AM (such as 700 and 720) will ID with their 94 MHz FM ID and don't
ever mention AM, at least at night whenever  I hear them. They may
have cut back their AM power as well.

- Bob, Tampa FL