[BC] Police Radios ... and lights

Bill Croghan" <loteng@lvradio.com reader
Fri Jul 8 15:57:44 CDT 2005

 >Before the advent of
 >radio dispatch, the common method was lighting up a group of "call" lights
 >in a town or in a city precinct. These were generally blue or red lights
 >hung over street intersections. The beat walkers would go to the nearest
 >call box and pick up the phone to report in and be dispatched.
 >I remember there were lights still hanging in the town were I grew up. In
 >the fifties
	As late as the middle 60's there was still such a light on the main
street in Canon City, Colorado.  A new dispatcher wondered what the switch
on the side of the console labeled "light" did and flipped it on.  That was
Friday night.  None of the younger cops knew what it was or even noticed it.
It was Sunday afternoon before one of the old time cops noticed the light on
and responded.  I think it was removed soon after.

Bill

Bill Croghan CPBE WB?KSW
Chief Engineer, Lotus Broadcasting
Las Vegas, NV