[BC] Pirates...Aaarghh!

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Jul 6 10:34:14 CDT 2005

On 6 Jul 2005 at 5:41, DANA PUOPOLO wrote:

> Hmmm...
>
> This law makes class D CB Radio, FRS radios, cordless telephones, wireless
> microphones and even WIFI a crime within the state of Florida! Indeed, ANY
> part 15 operation can get you charged with a felony. A local oscillator in a
> receiver cound even get you busted, in theory.
>
> A perfect example of uninformed MORONS sticking their nose where it has no
> right to be!

Dana,

Perhaps it's not as black as you appear to imagine. Consider that Part 15
and other unlicensed services can be construed to have a blanket exemption
from licensure. Since LO's spread spectrum, WIFI and part 15 devices all
fall into this category, misguided enforcement attempts seem unlikely.

It does cast a very wide net for illegal operations such as unlicensed
CB's, and perhaps some model R/C gear where the requirement for license
is ignored more often than not.

IMHO the real mistake is throwing all violators into the same pot.
An unlicensed model R/C transmitter operated by a middle school kid
would seem a little less harmful to society than someone jamming
public safety transmission during commission of a bank robbery, or
a broadcast pirate. Looks to me like they should have differentiated
more than one class of offense under this law.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037