[BC] Pirates...Aaarghh!

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Wed Jul 6 07:44:56 CDT 2005

Hmmm...

This law makes class D CB Radio, FRS radios, cordless telephones, wireless
microphones and even WIFI a crime within the state of Florida! Indeed, ANY
part 15 operation can get you charged with a felony. A local oscillator in a
receiver cound even get you busted, in theory.

A perfect example of uninformed MORONS sticking their nose where it has no
right to be!

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: Alan Alsobrook <radiotech at bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [BC] Pirates...Aaarghh!

Florida, lead by the FAB, Has so far been able to put it into the
jurisdiction of the state. The FDLE has put together a task force in
south Florida to work on these pirate stations. Thus far the FCC is
supporting the states efforts and have been providing the technical
backup for the state enforcement's. The first few shutdowns have
occurred with many more on the slate to be done. From what I understand
in the south Florida area, some of these pirates are real bad actors,
thus the FDLE will be going in with armed officers. I can see some
technical issues with the statute, so far FDLE and the States attorneys
offices have been proceeding very carefully to make sure the law is
applied correctly, and that the proper precedence are set early on.
Below is the statute in question.

877.27  Unauthorized transmissions to, or interference with, a public or
commercial radio station licensed by the Federal Communications
Commission prohibited; penalties.--

(1)  A person may not:

(a)  Make, or cause to be made, a radio transmission in this state
unless the person obtains a license or an exemption from licensure from
the Federal Communications Commission under 47 U.S.C. s. 301, or other
applicable federal law or regulation; or

(b)  Do any act, whether direct or indirect, to cause an unlicensed
radio transmission to, or interference with, a public or commercial
radio station licensed by the Federal Communications Commission or to
enable the radio transmission or interference to occur.

(2)  A person who violates this section commits a felony of the third
degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885