[BC] Where old TVs go...

Fred Gleason fredg
Tue Jul 5 22:00:38 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 19:58, Kevin Tekel wrote:
> David Reaves wrote:
> > How dangerous could it be to break a TV tube? Even a full vaccuum is
> > only minus one atmosphere (14Lb./sq. in.)
>
> It depends on where you are in relation to the tube.  At least from the
> horror stories I've heard, if you're unlucky enough to trip and fall down
> while carrying a TV or monitor with the picture tube against your chest,
> if the picture tube implodes, your guts will be sucked into it and
> shredded by the breaking glass -- and that's the end of both the CRT and
> the person carrying the CRT.

Let's see ... if we take surface area of the average gut as being about 1 ft
square, that's 144 sq in * 14 lbs/sq in = 2016 lbs, or about 1 ton of force.

Ouch.  Not something I'd care to try, I think.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|          All science is either physics or stamp collecting.             |
|                                      -- Ernest Rutherford               |