[BC] 750-kW Class IA AMs

PeterH5322@aol.com PeterH5322
Tue Jul 5 10:54:20 CDT 2005

>If you can fit a
>750,000-watt signal into the current allocation scheme, meeting all
>application protection ratios both nationally and internationally,
>then by all means, go for it!

The current allocation scheme for North American Class As is:

1) for Class A stations which are currently operating with more than 100
kW days and more than 50 kW nights, then the present operating powers
shall not be increased,

2) for other Class A stations, the maximum powers shall be 100 kW days
and 50 kW nights,

3) for Class A stations which are presently operating with less than 100
kW days and less than 50 kW nights, these stations may increase powers to
100 kW days and 50 kW nights.

So much for international treaties. National rules also apply.

All U.S. Class As are required (not permitted) by Part 73 to operate with
50 kW days and 50 kW nights, unless grandfathered.

1560 in Bakersfield, CA has increased power to 25 kW days, 10 kW nights,
DA-N (was 10 kW, DA-N).

The few foreign ex-Class I-As which had been operating with less than 50
kW have have installed directional antennas and have increased powers to
50 kW days and 50 kW nights.

1540 in The Bahamas has done so (50 kW days and 50 kW nights, DA-1; was
10 kW, ND).

1580 in Chicoutimi, Quebec has done so (50 kW days and 50 kW nights,
DA-1; was 10 kW, ND).

The Canadian ex-Class I-B which had been operating with less than 50 kW
continues to do so.

1550 in Windsor, Ontario remains as before (still 10 kW, DA-1).

The few Mexican ex-Class I-Bs which had been operating with less than 50
kW have increased power to 100 kW days, but remain at 10 kW nights,
unless a directional antenna was installed, which obviously is not the
norm for Mexico.

850 in Orizaba, Vera Cruz has done so (100 kW days, 50 kW nights, DA-N;
was 50 kW, DA-N). This station is perhaps the last Class I-B to be
authorized in North America (ca. 1955) [ * ] .

1000 in Mexico, DF, has done so (50 kW days, 10 kW nights, ND; was 10 kW,
ND or perhaps 20 kW, ND).

1190 in Guadalajara, Jaliasco has done so (50 kW days, 10 kW nights, ND;
was 10 kW, ND).

1550 in Jalapa, Vera Cruz remains as before (still 10 kW, ND).

[ * ] Note that the U.S. co-channel Class I-B, an ex-de-facto Class I-A,
operates with about 35 kW into a super-tall radiator, with about 15 kW
being dissipated into a resistor, but the licensed operating power is
indeed 50 kW, ND.