[BC] Re: Superpower AM

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters
Tue Jul 5 10:39:29 CDT 2005

broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

<< Quite a few. 1.5MW carrier, +3dB. They can indeed be heard at enormous
 distances. The Crowborough 600KW + Yagi was about 3MW ERP and sent such a
 strong groundwave into the heart of the USSR it was able to overcome local
 jamming. The Middle East Relay Station off the coast of Oman comfortably got
 right across Saudi Arabia and into Egypt.
 Clive

Clive:

Continental Electronics has at least one station in the mid east with 2000 kW
carrier power output. Not sure what kind of antenna system these rigs feed.
There is at least one D323C (two 1 megawatt screen-impedance-modulated Doherty
rigs each using two Eimac 8974 tetrodes) into a combiner. I have an IEEE
reprint from 1988 or 1989 written by Adil Mina and Gill Halsey. There were more
than one superpower station in this project, but I don't remember the specs. two
2 megawatters and one 1 megawatter, I don't remember for sure.

This is a fascinating paper, and you should try and get a copy.

Jeff Glass, BSEE CSRE
WNIU WNIJ