[BC] SMD

Clive Warner clive
Tue Jul 5 10:13:02 CDT 2005

>Of course, nowadays who needs resistors?  :(   With the new SMD, you can't
>repair it anyways.
- Well, you could repair it, provided that you
a) can get the SMD component(s) required, and
b) have the correct equipment.
I was required to take and pass a course in repair and replacement of PCBs
and SMDs by Marconi as part of my training. It wasn't easy.
I do note one thing about SMD: It can produce amazing quality. I recently
bought a TOA 60 watt mixer-amp. Super well made. I took a module out and
examined the PCB. Where, I wondered, were the components? Then I noticed
this glittering 'dust' on the board. I took out a jeweller's eyepiece and
discovered the tiny chip components clinging to the surface.
That TOA with its SMD circuits has the lowest noise of any amplifier I've
ever seen. Just totally quiet!
You can pick them up on EBay very cheaply.
Clive