[BC] Where old TVs go...

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Tue Jul 5 08:40:58 CDT 2005

Tom Osenkowsky wrote:
> To discharge a CRT, use a hammer to break the small plastic key in on
> the rear of the tube. Then smash the small glass nipple. The tube will
> implode slowly and safely.

I think you meant to say it will neutralize the vacuum, rather than
implode.  Implosion is what happens when the inrush of air is neither
slow nor safe!

And I guess soon we'll be discussing proper disposal methods for plasma
flat-panel TVs... I hear the expected service life of those things is
about 7 years...