[BC] AM Stereo

Warren Shulz warren.shulz at citcomm.com
Tue Nov 30 22:58:25 CST 2010

One point is the iBiquity standard is to force a AM HD IBOC radio to roll response off at about 2.5 KHz when HD radio is tuned to a non-HD AM signal.  Spoke with DaySquerra and they reported being  forced to roll off high frequency response in non-HD mode. person agreed the roll off was excessive but is was the spec.

In my own experience you can operate an analog AM Rx to about 7 KHz when a station transmits in the IBOC HD mode.  More of the  iBiquity fog.   I suspect this is done to make the transition from analog to HD to be perceived as an improvement in audio response.

Why couldn't the AM Rx mfg.  include a IF bandwidth control?  the early TRF radio was variable BW.  All stages peaked for sensitivity and narrow BW and stagger tuned for greater BW on a strong signal.  Ceramic IF filter was the death of audio for AM reception.

Running NRSC response to 9.5 KHz response in C-Quam 24x7.

Warren Shulz
WLS CGO