[BC] Goliath Comcast Strikes

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Tue Nov 30 08:38:46 CST 2010

As many of us feared, another media giant begins to strike at
competitors. What we've seen happen to Radio seems about to happen,
again, to Internet streaming. Cable systems consolidated well before
Radio did and we've all seen what's happened to Cable rates.

As Comcast gets ready to swallow NBC/Universal, competitors to NBC's
Hulu may have to take a bullet in the form of increased Comcast rates
for streaming. Actually, the bullets will hit consumers.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/netflix-partner-says-comcast-toll-threatens-online-video-delivery/?ref=technology

While Netflix and YouTube will probably be their first targets, it
leads me to wonder how Jabba-the-Comcast will treat aggregators for
Radio and TV streaming.

I think we all expect that the "economy of scale" will result, as all
others have, in far higher rates from Internet providers such as
Verizon and the other gargantuan guardians of the pipes.

I think it's time to renew my library card. Printed media and video
rental stores may get a second wind as we get closer to $200 a month
cable/Internet packages. AT&T complains about heavy smartphone data
use while it advertises the video and other streaming services the
phones provide. In the past that's usually preceded significant
increases in rates.

I wonder how this will affect all the grand predictions of new
Internet companies and products. It probably won't be good. More
directly, I wonder how it'll affect Radio's use of the net for both
streaming, IP STLs, and remotes via the net.

I just canceled my Hulu Plus subscription to pay for the Netflix
increase caused by Comcast.

Rich