[BC] Here it comes....

Alex Hartman goober at goobe.net
Mon Nov 29 23:34:57 CST 2010

Didn't fox just try to pull this with cablevision and dishnet? No different. All the customers lose out when businesses get pissy with eachother.

The reason why comcast put bandwidth caps in place is purely marketing, they want you to use their VOD service, not netflix or hulu. Simple as that. If you rent their movies, they don't have to pay for bandwidth since it stays internal to their network.

If a cable company sells you a tiered service (12mbits download speed internet for instance with a 250gb cap) they should be able to support your 12mbits download UP TO that 250Gb limit (at their border routers), then they can throttle you or even charge you overages JUST LIKE CELL PHONES DO.

--
Alex Hartman