[BC] FM History

Al Wolfe awolfe at Route24.net
Mon Nov 29 18:31:48 CST 2010

    Went to Dave Hershberger's site to check out the GE Phasitron. Sure
brought back a bunch of memories. We helped light up one of these, just the
250 watt part, for a community radio station back in the late 70's. It had
been donated, supposedly by WFMT, to a community group in Champaign, IL. We
got the thing running and sounding OK. It was in the top floor of an old run
down hotel. The mono audio came from some old phone cable stretched across
the street and laid on top of some buildings and on to the studio a couple
of blocks away.

    There was to be a big celebration back at the studio when we first
turned it on and they could hear it there on the monitor speakers. The
engineering crew (a bunch of young guys with First Phones with the ink still
wet) went back over to the studio to join in the libations. About a half
hour later there was a phone call from a (the?) listener who asked why the
station had gone off the air. We didn't realize that it was off the air
because of the celebration racket. So the engineering crew went back over to
the hotel and went up the seven stories to the room where the transmitter
was. There was smoke poring from beneath the door, not a good sign. We
cracked the door and didn't see any flames so crawled across the floor,
killed the power and opened some windows. We then crawled back out of the
room and waited until we could at least see the transmitter though the smoke
before reentering the room.

    We found that the blower motor capacitor had exploded, showering the
inside of the previously immaculately cleaned up transmitter with aluminum
confetti. We removed all of the confetti we could find and had a big
discussion as to the wisdom of running the transmitter with no exhaust
blower. The consensus was to try it with the back door of the transmitter
open. Someone would bring up a portable fan later.

    Well, the old girl fired right up. We then returned to the party as
heroes and continued the libations. Some of the female attendees were quite
appreciative of our efforts.

    They ran that old GE with two 4-125's for finals for a couple of more
years but never hooked up the final amp. I don't know whatever finally
happened to the transmitter when it was retired.

Al, retired, mostly
AKA K9SI