[BC] AM Stereo

Dave Hultsman DHults1043 at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 21:26:44 CST 2010

Rich:  I have forgotten the year,  I believe 1969,  I went to the AES Convention at the old Hilton Hotel in downtown LA.   In the Sansui demo room they had two of their super tuners one was tuned to KHJ -930 who were also running the Kahn DSB system with a STA from the FCC.  In the other bedroom was XETRA 690 from Roserita beach, Mexico with Kahn and the McLendon easy listening format.  Both stations had excellent AM stereo with differing formats at the time. On the same trip I was carrying two Sony portable radios that were picked for their AM performance.  I was staying with friends in Pasadena and we put the two radios on the coffee table in their living room and tuned to both stations.  Good stereo and quality.  On XTRA you would ocassionally get some noise on the right channel from KMPC's lower sideband.

Sure wish I had bought one of those tuners.  Most of the Kahn stations had one or two of those receiver from Sansui.  The sound good on AM mono stations.

Dave Hultsman