[BC] Digital Storage

Powell Way powell at backroads.net
Mon Nov 29 19:55:52 CST 2010

On Nov 29, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Scott Bailey wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Most consumer grade stuff has come up with professional grade stuff
> these days.
> It's just as reliable.

The answer to that is Yes and NO.

> The original masters of recordings are held by the music industry. If
> you need a
> song, you can go to itunes,napster,etc, and buy the songs. Heck for
> the the
> commercial broadcasters, there is now a site of current and recurrent
> music that
> we can download for free, because we are a licensed broadcast station,
> and we
> pay BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC.

Yeah but CAN you get a uncompressed version? I should hope so. On the
commercial sites I doubt it.

>   Keep an old 45 and using it on the air is silly,
> clutter up the audio with noise that sounds like a bacon frying
> contest. Get
> real, and OUT of the past.

Well not necessarily. I purchased a few 45's from The Wax Museum in
Charlotte,NC.  The 45 hit version of the Carpenters first hit "Ticket
to Ride" was never put on LP. There is a version but it doesn't sound
the same, and it is a lot longer.  I got Liz Damon's Orient Express and
1900 Yesterday on 45.  They sounded fine carefully recorded and put on
the hard drive on the first pass.

> There are collectors of those old 45's & 33 1/3 albums, but now that's
> just a
> "home hobby" not to be used in the professional word.

Not true. I have a LOT of vinyl that never ever will be on a CD as
rights are locked and won't be granted, or , well, if we can't make a
fortune on the recordings they(record companies or who owns the music
rights )   won't release it. Yep with a proper playing device, music to
CD or hard drive is the way to do it. ...... but there are thousands of
recordings that would never be heard otherwise. And NO I don't play
records on the air, I have better things to do.

And the there is all the new stuff coming out so horridly compressed it
makes you WISH for records again......   :|

Powell